Imagine the scenario. A senior retires and finds they have lots of time on their hands. So much time, as a matter of fact, that often they end up doing nothing with it.
Then one day they realize how unfit they have become. They make the excellent decision that it’s time to get into shape. So where do they start?
For many seniors, it might be difficult to head out to a fitness facility. Perhaps they have no reliable transportation or are just a bit too embarrassed and unsure of themselves to work out in public.
Often, starting out in the comfort of your own home is the best option. So what’s the best home exercise equipment for seniors? Most likely a treadmill is the best place to begin. There are many small treadmills seniors will love.
WHY A TREADMILL?
One of the most natural things we do is to walk. Regardless of age, gender, or physical ability, most seniors are able to walk or run to some degree. I have seen many seniors retire at the young, vibrant age of 65 and take up running for the first time. Before they know it, they’re hooked on running. A couple of years later that same senior might be running his first marathon.
However, that’s not everyone. Of course, many seniors can’t run. They might want to, or perhaps they tried it, but it wasn’t something they enjoyed or could manage physically. That’s where a compact treadmill can come in. You can set it up anywhere in your home and it takes up a minimum of room. Once you have one, you can begin a walking program.
A treadmill in your home is an excellent option because you can work out at your own speed. A treadmill is ideal for any time of the year. It can be 100 degrees outside or there could be a winter blizzard outside your window.
Great! Set my compact treadmill by the big living room window and watch the snow fly as you walk in comfort.
HEALTH ADVANTAGES OF TREADMILLS
Getting on your treadmill and getting a move on almost had too many advantages to count. First of all, walking on a treadmill is very easy on the body. There is no hard impact and very little stress on muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Yet, at the same time, the health advantages are numerous.
- Improve cardiovascular system
- Strengthens heart
- Improve blood circulation
- Accelerate weight loss
- Lowers stress levels
- Improves sense of self-worth and well-being
- Makes monitoring heart rate and blood pressure very easy
- Encourages seniors to work out on a regular basis
- Ideal for combating type two diabetes
- Improve sleep
Yes, your blood circulation will get much better and your heart will grow stronger. Regular workouts of at least twenty minutes 3-5 times per week will accelerate weight loss and lower stress levels.
Becoming fitter often gives seniors a sense of well-being that encourages them to keep on moving. It’s gratifying to see positive change. In the event a senior or caregiver wants to monitor heart rate or blood pressure, walking on a treadmill is an ideal scenario to keep track of important physical readings.
Not sure how to construct a treadmill training plan? Check out this Treadmill Walking Workout Plan for Seniors.
It is a pretty commonly known fact that a well-balanced diet and regular fitness sessions are an excellent way to combat Type 2 Diabetes. The key is to make sure that the exercise sessions are long enough to make the muscles use glucose for fuel. Normally, this will take at least 20 minutes of constant aerobic exercise. It’s a good starting point and the time spent on the treadmill can easily be extended at fitness improves.
The main key for diabetics is to keep blood sugar levels on an even keel. Regular exercise will do this as it often improves sleep. Having a great night’s sleep is an excellent way to stabilize blood sugar levels in seniors.
Many seniors might find other means of exercising too stressful, but walking easily actually lowers stress.
EXTERRA FITNESS FOLDING TREADMILL
- This black treadmill folds up for easy storage. It has many features that will help seniors set up and monitor their progress.
- There is a large 16″ x 50″ walking/running surface
- Features a large 5 inch LCD display is easy to read and keeps you updated on speed, incline, time, distance, calories, and Pulse
- It has a speed range of 0.5 -10 MPH allows for users of all fitness level
- There are 12 preset programs offer unmatched variety for your workouts
- There are 3 manual incline settings allow for maximum variety
This is an excellent treadmill with lots of features. It’s the ability to fold makes it ideal if you want to store it away between exercise sessions.
SUNNY HEALTH AND FITNESS T7642 HEAVY DUTY WALKING TREADMILL
This treadmill is heavy duty and has a very high 350-pound weight capacity. It has a wider walking area than most treadmills and folds for storage.
Here are some of the main features of this excellent product.
- The SF-T7643 Heavy Duty Folding Walking Treadmill treadmill will burn BIG calories with the Big walking surface, big button, big handrails. Did I say big!
- The t7642 treadmill has an especially high weight capacity of 350 lbs. It also a folding option(43.3L X 20W) that can be moved easily with the transportation wheels. Safe and easy folding and unfolding with soft drop mechanism
- It also has big buttons, so you don’t squint looking for the start or stop. Big easy to read quick speed buttons (1, 3, 5 mph) and big sturdy handrails give you the confidence to walk fast.
- Some of the features of this treadmill include big cup holders for hydration. and the biggest integrated tablet holder variety of phones, 2 in 1 laptop up to 13” inches.
- It’s easy to track gains and losses with easy to read backlit multi-display console. Displays: calories burned, speed, distance
WELSO CADENCE G 5.9 TREADMILL WITH BLUETOOTH
This may be a very affordable-priced treadmill, but it comes packed with features. It’s excellent value for the money, and like the two others, I reviewed, folds to save space when not in use.
Here are some of the key features of the Welso Cadence Treadmill.
- Go to ifit.com/activate to redeem your one month iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- Space saver design: fold it up and walk away in one easy step.
Integrated tablet holder: keeps your tablet secure and conveniently close.
- Treadmill accommodates up to 275 pounds
16″ x 50″ tread belt: perfect for users of all heights, you’ll be comfortable while you reach your goals.
- Warranty: 1-Year Motor Warranty and 90-Day parts & Labor Warranty
This device comes with a 30-day, free membership to iFit Coach. Enjoy thousands of on-demand workouts in a virtual studio or around the world.
- Expert trainers will personalize your settings for each workout. Connect via smartphone to your equipment
Would you like to share your thoughts on this topic? Feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this page.